There isn’t much better than having a delicious, creamy, spiced smoothie to start your day with. Or your afternoon, or evening, or… well, you get the point! What makes this one so fantastic is it is jam-packed with vitamins, fiber and healthy fats to keep you feeling satisfied for hours.
Check out the unbeatable nutrition of the key ingredients from this satisfying beverage!
According to this source: one ounce of Brazil nuts contains 185 calories, 4 grams of protein and 3 grams of carbohydrates. Brazil nuts provide 2 grams of fiber per 1 ounce serving, which is 8 percent of the recommended daily allowance, or RDA, as per U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet. They provide 5 percent of the RDA for calcium and 4 percent for iron.
Most of the fat found in Brazil nuts is the healthy unsaturated varieties which — when used in lieu of saturated fat – can help to promote heart health, says the American Heart Association. Of the 19 grams of fat in 1 ounce 41 percent is monounsaturated and 34 percent is polyunsaturated. Keep in mind that Brazil nuts still contain the highest amount of saturated fat of any nut – one serving provides 21 percent of the RDA. Stick to just one serving of nuts daily to keep your daily calorie and fat intake under control.
This delectable butter is not only great as a spread but it is a fantastic smoothie booster. It is made completely from coconuts, so it provides all the same nutrient-packed benefits! Unlike the oil, which is pure fat, coconut manna contains some of the fiber (2 grams per 1 Tbsp) and protein (1 gram per Tbsp). But as with everything, take it in moderation.
According to the World’s Healthiest Foods, some recent studies have given pears some very special recognition. Specific flavanoids found in pears, when eaten, have been associated with decreased risk of type 2 diabetes. Among all fruits and vegetables, combining pears with apples boosted their diabetes risk reversing ability.
And now, on to the recipe!
Spiced Pear Smoothie
This recipe is used with permission from DrHyman.com.
This Spiced Pear Smoothie is the perfect beverage without all of the sugar and processed ingredients in typical pumpkin spiced drinks. This smoothie also includes one of my favorite milk alternatives, Brazil nut milk. Brazil nuts contain healthy fats and selenium, a trace mineral essential to immune and thyroid function. Healthy and delicious!
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus overnight soaking
For the Brazil Nut Milk
- 1 cup Brazil nuts
- 5 cups water
For the Smoothie
- 2 cups chopped pears (freeze before blending)
- 1 teaspoon of alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1 rounded tablespoon pumpkin pie spice mix
- *For a sweeter option, add 1-2 dates
- 1 tablespoon coconut manna (optional)
- First make the Brazil nut milk by soaking the Brazil nuts in 2 cups of water overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours. Drain the water, rinse the nuts well.
- Place the Brazil nuts in a blender and add 3 cups of fresh water. Blend for 45 seconds and then strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer. Place in the fridge to cool.3. In a blender, combine the milk, chilled pears, vanilla, spice mix, and dates and coconut manna (if using). Blend on high speed for 45 seconds, until smooth and creamy.4. Serve immediately.
Source: Family Life Goals
Please do share this useful information with your friends and family by hitting one of the share buttons below.