Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a natural substance in the form of fine powder which has powerful antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. Moreover, it is very effective against colds, oral problems and skin conditions. However, you should not exaggerate with its use because it can damage the skin, hair and gums.
Here are some of the benefits of baking soda:
– Improves skin complexion – it has the ability to remove the dead skin cells and to maintain proper pH level which is essential for healthy and clear skin. Make a paste of filtered rose water and add 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda. Apply it on your face and let it act for 1 minute rubbing it off using the tips of your fingers. Afterwards wash your face with lukewarm water. Repeat the procedure once or twice a week. Also, you can mix lemon juice and 4-5 extra-virgin olive oil and apply it on your face leaving it stay for 5 minutes and rinse off with cold water. Repeat this 2-3 times a week.
– Brightens yellow teeth – baking soda is very effective in removing the yellow stains and plaque from your teeth. You can a little amount of it along with toothpaste on your toothbrush and brush your teeth for 2 minutes. Do not do this more than once a day. Also, you can make a homemade teeth whitener by mixing 4 tbsp. of turmeric root, 2 tbsp. of baking soda, and 3 tbsp. of extra-virgin coconut oil. Brush your teeth with this mixture once a day for a few days. Bear in mind the fact that excessive use of baking soda can damage your natural teeth enamel.
– Fights pimples and acne – it is very effective in treating acne and other skin conditions. You can mix 1 tsp of it with a baking soda to make a paste, apply on the affected area and let it stay for 1-2 minutes, then wash your face with cold water. Repeat the procedure 2-3 days, than reduce to 1-2 times a week.
– Treats body odor – baking soda has the ability to absorb moisture and sweat from the skin and to reduce the unpleasant body odors. Make a mixture from 1/8 tsp. of baking soda, 1 tbsp. of water and a few drops of any essential oil and apply it on your skin using cotton balls. Also, you can make a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch in equal ratio and apply it onto your dry underarms to prevent sweating and bad odor.
– Relieves sunburn and sunburn blisters – it calms irritated skin and relieves itching and burning sensations. Thanks to its antiseptic and drying properties, it has the ability to dry the sunburn blisters very quickly. Simply mix 1-2 tbsp. in cold water, dip a washcloth in it, wring it out to excess and apply it on the affected area. Let it act for 5-10 minutes. Repeat the procedure 2-3 times a day until you feel relief. Also, add ½ cup of it in a bathtub filled with water, mix well and dip in it for 10-15 minutes, then pat dry or allow your body to air dry. Repeat this once a day for a few days.
If you think this post was useful, Please do share it with your family and friends by clicking the share button below.