We see that nowadays there are less healthy foods because of the use of chemical agents. No citrus fruit is spared of spraying with pesticides. Experts advise to be careful when consuming citrus fruit. Lemon and orange are the most treated with chemicals which are often above the permissible limit, so be careful when using their bark in certain recipes.
The most common pesticides that are encountered in the citrus fruits are Fungicide Imazalil, Thiabendazole and Chlorpyrifos. Imazalal Fungicide penetrates the whole fruit, not only through the crust. This pesticide leads to irritation of the skin and eyes. Thiabendazole has carcinogenic properties in large quantities, and Chlorpyrifos is used against insects and is very dangerous. Pesticides also affect the human hormone, can cause infertility, birth defects, and of course, they are toxic. The most common misconception is that washing fruit and peeling removes pesticides. Washing can remove surface dirt and slightly reduce the harm, but removing the bark is also desirable but not enough. In the following text we will present you how to clean pesticides from lemon and grapefruit. Removing pesticides from lemon and other citrus fruit.
- Wash the fruit with vinegar
Mix water and vinegar, so that the ratio is 3: 1, for example, put three cups of water and one cup of vinegar. This is a great way to remove bacteria, chemicals and wax fruit. Research shows that this combination eliminates 98% of bacteria; and usual cleaning removes about 85%.
If you prefer, you can spray vinegar on fruit vinegar, then rinse under the tap. You can also leave fruit to stand for 10-20 minutes in the above mixture, and then wash with water.
- Cleaner for fruit
You can buy a cleaner for all natural fruits that contain citric acid. You may be able to make such a cleaner in the following ways:
First mixture: mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 cup (2.5 dl) of water.
Second mixture: 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of white vinegar (preferably distilled) and 1 cup (2.5 dl) of water.
Source: house and family tips
Please do share this useful information with your friends and family by hitting one of the share buttons below.