This recipe is a dry version and makes for a good starter/side dish or snack. When i make veg fried rice or a simple fried rice without any veggies, I prepare the gobi manchurian with sauce.
Fairly easy to prepare, this cauliflower manchurian recipe is not spicy like the restaurant or street versions. If you want, you can add more of the ginger, garlic and green chilies and increase the spice and heat in the dish.
The cauliflower manchurian that we get outside has a good amount of red color added to the batter. Here, no colors are added. To get an orangish color, you can increase the amount of kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch. This will also add some heat and a smoky flavor.
For pan frying the florets:
- 1 medium cauliflower/phool gobi
- 1 cup all purpose flour/maida
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ to ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder/lal mirch powder or deghi mirch (add about 1 tsp to get a good color, but this will also increase the heat a bit)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp water or as required
- 5 to 6 tbsp oil for pan frying
for the sauce:
- ¾ cup chopped spring onion/scallion whites, reserve the greens for garnish
- ½ cup finely chopped capsicum/green bell pepper/shimla mirch
- 1.5 inch ginger, finely chopped or 3 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 8 to 10 medium garlic, finely chopped or 3 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped or 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies
- ½ tbsp finely chopped celery, optional
- 1.5 tbsp light soy sauce or ½ to 1 tbsp soy sauce, you can also add as per your taste
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce or add as required
- 1 tsp rice vinegar or ½ tsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ to ½ tsp black pepper powder
- salt as required
preparing the florets:
Firstly chop or break the cauliflower in medium size florets.
Heat water with salt and boil it. Rinse the cauliflower florets and add them to the hot water. Let them get blanched in the water for 15-20 minutes. Later drain and keep aside.
preparing the batter and frying the florets:
In a bowl mix together the ingredients for making the batter – all purpose flour/maida, corn starch, soy sauce, black pepper, kashmiri red chili powder and salt.
Add water and whisk to make a smooth batter without any lumps.
Dip each gobi floret in the batter.
Fry the batter coated cauliflower florets in hot oil. I have pan fried and added about 6 tbsp oil. later I have not added any oil while stir frying the spring onions etc.
You can also deep fry or shallow fry. i have fried in batches of three. So depending on the size of your pan, you can fry at once or in batches. The frying takes some time.
When one side gets cooked and crisp, turn over each cauliflower florets and pan fry the uncooked sides. Flip for a couple of times more, so that the cauliflower florets are evenly fried and light golden.
Drain the fried cauliflower florets on a kitchen paper towel. Fry all the cauliflower florets this way in batches.
Preparing the sauce:
no need to add any oil again. In the same pan, add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies. Saute for a half a minute.
Then add the chopped spring onions & capsicum. Add chopped celery if using. Increase the flame and stir fry till the capsicum is half cooked or almost cooked.
Add soy sauce, tomato sauce, black pepper and salt. stir.
Add the pan fried cauliflower florets.
Stir fry for two to three minutes ensuring the spiced sauce coats the cauliflower florets well.
Lastly add vinegar and stir well. check the taste and add more of soy sauce or tomato sauce as per your taste.
Switch off the fire. mix in the chopped spring onions greens or garnish with them while serving.
Serve dry cauliflower manchurian as a snack or as a side dish with veg fried rice or mushroom fried rice or veg hakka noodles or veg noodles.
This is fantastic recipe of cauliflower that can be used as a side dish and also share this post with your friends and family!