Have you ever had just a little bit of Daal leftover and you didn’t know what to do with it? Maybe it wasn’t even enough for one person, let alone your whole family. If this is you, then try this delicious recipe for Missi Roti (also known as Daal Roti) which is Indian unleavened bread made with flour and daal, or lentils. It has the goodness of carbs and protein all in one shot!
Whole Wheat Chapati Flour – 1 1/2 cups
Leftover Daal (any kind) – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Onion – 1/2 medium, finely chopped (optional)
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Oil – for pan frying
Dry Flour – for rolling
1. Heat leftover Daal in the microwave for 30 secs.
2. Add Salt and Red Chili Powder and mix well.
3. Add Daal to a medium size bowl and add in Onions and Oil. Mix.
4. Finely chopped green chilies and cilantro can also be added if the daal doesn’t already have them.
5. Add Chapati Flour to the Daal a little at a time and start to mix until a medium firm dough is formed.
6. Coat the dough with a few drops of Oil, cover and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
7. Knead the dough and divide it into golf ball size balls.
8. Dip each dough ball into some dry flour to coat and roll it out into a tortilla size and shape disc. You may have to re-dip the roti in the dry flour if it sticks to the rolling surface.
9. Place the roti onto a hot tawa or skillet and cook until bubbles start to form.
10. Flip roti onto the other side and cook for another 30 seconds.
11. Smear a little oil on top of the roti and flip it over.
12. Press the roti with a spatula to cook evenly, smear this side with oil and flip again.
13. Keep pressing with the spatula until roti is fully cooked and the raw dough look has gone.
14. Keep roti in an insulated container and repeat process for remaining rotis.
This is wonderful and easy recipe. Please try at home and share this post with your friends and family also!!!