Pav Bhaji is a fast food which is found both in road side stalls as well as in big hotels. The bhaji is finger lickingly delicious made with potatoes and other mixed vegetables. It gets its flavors from the pav bhaji masala (a special blend of spices), onion, cilantro and lemon juice. The pav (bun) served with the bhaji is buttered and toasted.
Traditionally pav bhaji is prepared using a big iron griddle (tawa). The vegetables are cooked, mashed and flavored in the tawa. At home it can easily be prepared using a pressure cooker and a flat pan. This can be served as a light meal or as an evening snack.
Potatoes – 2 (cubed)
Mixed Vegetables – about 2 cups (You can use whatever vegetables that you have on hand. The vegetables may include (but not limited to) carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, beetroot, radish, brinjal, capsicum, zucchini, beans etc.)
Green Peas – 1/4 cup
Onion – 1 (chopped)
Tomatoes – 3 or 4 (crushed)
Green Chillies – 2
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Pav Bhaji Masala – 2 tblsp
Lemon Juice – 1 tblsp
Butter – 3-4 tblsp
Cilantro – for garnish
Onion – 1/2 (chopped for garnish)
Lemon Wedges – for garnish
1. Take a pressure cooker, add the onions, patatoes, mixed vegetables, green peas, green chillies, about 1 cup water and salt. Cook for 2-3 whistles.
2. After the pressure goes down, mash all the cooked vegetables using a potato masher or with the back of a thick spoon.
3. Heat the butter in a flat wide pan and add the ginger garlic paste to it. Add the tomatoes and let it cook for 8-10 minutes.
4. Add the pav bhaji masala, the mashed up vegetables and the lemon juice.
5. Let it cook till it becomes a very thick gravy.
6. Garnish with chopped onions, lemon wedges, a blob of butter or cilantro. Serve piping hot with toasted pav buns, burger buns, hot dog buns or white bread.
This is a spicy and tasty recipe of pav bhaji please like and share it with your friends and family!