Cambridge Theranostics Ltd had announced the release of lycopene pill for clinical use in 2009 and they proved that lycopene pill is more powerful then statins.
Sources of Lycopene
Lycopene is the red colour pigment present in tomatoes. It is also available in watermelons, papaya, grapes and guavas.
The tomato products like tomato ketchup, tomato sauce and tomato juice are the rich sources of this lycopene carotenoid.
The processed tomatoes have abundant amount of lycopene than the raw/fresh tomatoes as the cooking of tomatoes result in breakdown of cell walls thereby releasing more lycopene as well as concentrating it.
Lycopene Uses | Tomato Health Benefits
- Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant and can be used as a natural food colouring agent.
- Lycopene is known for preventing some cancers, especially prostate cancer.
- Lycopene also helps in preventing age related macular degeneration due to its antioxidant properties.
- Lycopene has anti-cancer property.
- Vitamin C present in tomatoes helps in developing immunity and resistance to infections.