A scary thought for the beginning: 99 percent of the people who suffer from gluten intolerance and celiac disease are never diagnosed? Why is this so?
This is because the symptoms of gluten intolerance are mostly ignored and people who have them either do not pay attention to them, or they just hope for the best.
Here is another scary thought: out of all diseases in total, 55 of them have been associated with gluten, and about 15 percent of the US population is known to be gluten intolerant. Do you think that you are one of them?
What is Gluten Intolerance?
In nearly 80 percent of the cases, celiac disease has been connected to gluten sensitivity.
Previously, doctor did not consider gluten sensitivity to be a condition, but over the past years, it has finally been recognized as a legitimate condition.
What is going on into the body of an individual that suffers from celiac disease?
This is an autoimmune condition, and it affects the system of digestion, thus frequently resulting in inflammation of the small intestine.
When this person takes in gluten, an abnormal immune response has been indicated, and it often results in inflammation.
In some cases, the patients have reacted very badly to gluten, despite the fact that they had undergone examinations for determining celiac diseases and the results had been negative.
One good thing is that gluten sensitivity does not do harm to your intestines, and you are covered there.
Gluten Intolerance Symptoms
– Keratosis Pilaris. This is a condition also called “chicken skin”. It usually happen on the back of the arms, and it is caused partially by gluten intolerance, and partially by deficiency of vitamin A and fatty acids.
– Gasses, constipation, diarrhea, bloating and other digestive issues. The easiest symptom to be noticed is the constipation, especially when it comes to kids, which happens after they consume food that contains gluten
– Sensation of being off balance, fatigue and similar neurologic symptoms
– Constant fatigue or feeling of tiredness after you consume food that contains gluten
– Other symptoms of gluten intolerance are Hasimoto’s thyroiditis, psoriasis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases
– Migraines and headaches. This is one of the commonest symptoms when it comes to numerous diseases, but if one is gluten sensitive, the headache will occur 10 to 30 minutes after consumption of food that contains gluten
– Depression, anxiety and mood swings are also some of the symptoms and mood issues that are result of the gluten intolerance
– Chronic fatigue, or fibromyalgia, is a condition resulting from gluten intolerance, and it is specific because the doctor cannot pinpoint the real cause of your pain and fatigue
– Inflammation, swelling and pain in the knee, hip, and finger areas
– Hormone imbalances
How to Test for Gluten Intolerance
You can determine whether you are gluten sensitive by making a blood test with specific goal.
Still, you can determine the same thing by elimination diet.
You just need to eliminate the gluten nutrients from you diet for about two week time and observe how your body reacts on these changes.
Two or three weeks later, reintroduce the gluten to your diet.
The gluten is a large protein, and this is a thing that we need to mention.
That is why it sometimes takes even several months until your body is completely cleared from gluten.
That is why it would be better for you if you manage to stay on this elimination diet longer.
If you start feeling better once you get rid of the gluten in your diet, and worse once you reintroduce it, it is pretty likely that you are gluten sensitive.
Another thing we need to mention is that you should remove 100 percent of the gluten from your diet if you want the elimination method to work.
What Happens if You Ignore Gluten Intolerance Symptoms?
You should never ignore the symptoms of gluten intolerance.
If you do, your body is going to lose its ability to absorb nutrients because of the inflammation of the small intestine.
In other words, you will start shedding kilograms quickly, and you will suffer from malnutrition.
This should be alarming enough for you.