If you consume 3 bananas daily you significantly reduce the risk of stroke or heart attack. British and Italian researchers found out that if one person consumes a banana at breakfast, one at lunch, and another on in the evening can provide enough potassium to reduce the risk of blood clotting in the brain by 21%. Another report published in 2011 in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology says that you can prevent and reduce stroke cases by potassium intake from foods like bananas, fish, spinach, and lentils.
Researchers suggest a daily potassium intake of 1,600 mg to lower stroke risk. There is around 500 mg of potassium in one average-sized banana, thus consuming 3 of them will help you incorporate the recommended dose into your body.
Benefits and nutrients of bananas
They are packed with vitamin B6, C, manganese, biotin, and dietary fiber, helping to regulate the digestive system. There is 108 calories in an average banana. There is little cholesterol, fat, and sodium in them, they all contribute to weight gain). The bananas make it a great snack for athletes because they are low in glycemic carbohydrates, and thus provide an extra energy boost (an intense workout of 90 minutes can be completed if consumed 3 bananas, according to some researches).
Benefits of eating 3 bananas per day
- Reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes;
- Fights stress (potassium regulates the heartbeat, and when we feel stressed, the metabolic rate rises while potassium levels drop, thus if you eat potassium-rich foods the heartbeat will be rebalanced);
- Boosts bone mass (potassium prevents bones from decaying at a rapid rate);
- Anemia (bananas are rich in iron, thus help in reducing hemoglobin – low hemoglobin levels generally indicate anemia);
- Reduces depression (due to tryptophan, a type of protein which is converted into serotonin – a compound which relaxes the body and helps in mood improving);
- Regulates blood pressure (potassium regulates heart function and body fluid balance – it further reduces the risk of blood pressure and stroke);
- Smoking (B12, B6, magnesium, and potassium help the body recuperate from the effects of nicotine withdrawal);
- Treats constipation (there are more than 3 grams of fiber in one average banana, so if you have constipation, incorporate bananas as natural laxative into your diet to restore bowels);
- PMS (vitamin B6 helps in minimizing the glucose levels in the body, which positively affect the mood);
- Cures hangovers (they soothe the stomach, and in the combination with honey, dwindling blood sugar levels will be restored).
If you think this post was useful, Please do share it with your family and friends by clicking the share button below.